ABQ Pickleball Club periodically sends out email communications to keep our pickleball community informed of upcoming events and other pertinent information. Check here to see what emails have gone out!
1. There will be a double’s ladder tournament at Manzano Mesa outdoor court on August 25th. The tournament is free (donations are appreciated) and open to all. Registration is at ABQPickleball.com. Include your partner’s name and an estimate of skill level. Individuals can sign up for both doubles and mixed doubles. Starting times for men’s and women’s doubles will be at 9 am and mixed doubles at 12. This is an opportunity to practice for the ABQ Pickleball Club Labor Day Classic (Sep 1-3, registration at Pickleballtournaments.com). Each game will last approximately 12 minutes, the team with the most points moves up a net; the team with the least points moves down a net. Space is limited. The flyer is attached for those who would like to post it at the venues or elsewhere.
2. We are assessing interest in applying for pickleball time in several possible night venues this winter. (note: we expect the following to be open to pickleball this year: LBJ Middle School(Mondays), Roosevelt Middle School(Tuesday/Thursday), Cesar Chavez CC (Thursday), Los Duranes CC (Monday), Paradise Hills CC (Wednesday)). Please indicate whether you would attend the locations below: frequently/occasionally and on what night:
Desert Ridge Middle School (Barstow/Paseo del Norte area): 6:00-8:00 Tuesday
Desert Ridge Middle School: 6:00-8:00 Thursday
Hoover Middle School (Comanche/Juan Tabo area): 6:00-8:00 Tuesday
Hoover Middle School: 6:00-8:00 Friday
Alamosa Community Center(Bridge/Coors area): 6:00-8:00 Wednesday
Alamosa Community Center: 5:00-7:00 Friday
Note: All three have been contacted and expressed interest in offering pickleball, but no final decisions have been made.
1. The Heart Hospital of NM Foundation has generously donated an AED (automated external defibrillator) to the ABQ Pickleball Club for use at tournaments/events. There is an important free course for people to learn how to use it. There have been many events throughout the country where use of an AED has been critical to someone’s survival. The course is on Wednesday, August 15th at the Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center at 1:30 PM. Flyer is attached. Please register online at abqpickleball.com or contact Adeline Apodaca at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday August 13th.
If you would like to take the class, but are unable to make this one, let us know, and we will schedule an additional class.
2. The deadline for signing up for the Labor Day Classic Pickleball Tournament is less than three weeks away. Registration is at Pickleballtournaments.com. $35 is the total for singles, doubles and mixed. If you don’t have a partner for a double’s event, check the event you wish to play on the registration form (without listing a partner), and pickleballtournaments will list you as looking for a partner in the event.
3. The summer singles leagues have ended. However, don’t despair! Drop-in singles (9 am-1130 am) at the Manzano Mesa Outdoor Pickleball Courts has begun. Eva will have the board and sign-in sheet.
Hi Abq Pickleball!
We are in a search for companies or businesses that maybe interested in sponsoring a court for our September tournament.
Court sponsors will be able to hang their banner on the court. Every time the court is announced, we will call it the “Golden Pride court” for example. they can also bring freebies,or information to hand out or that we can give out with check-in. The price for court sponsorship will be $250.00 for the weekend for the 6 courts that face the bleachers, and $100 for any other court.
Since we are a non-profit, This also will be a tax deductible donation!
If you have a business that is interested in this opportunity to support Albuquerque Pickleball and get some publicity for your business, OR if you know someone with a business that I can contact to discuss , Please email Gretchen at email@example.com or call me at 505-385-1626.
We hope to make our first Club tournament a big success!
Thanks for your help!
1. The National Veterans Golden Age Games has asked that the ABQ Pickleball Club assist with their pickleball games by reffiing and scorekeeping. This is an excellent low-key way to practice reffing/scorekeeping. Many of the veterans are not experienced pickleball players, and some may need referees that will explain the rules to them as they go. The times listed below are those that, as of last weekend, still needed volunteers. Note that the tournament play is one game to 11, single elimination, such that the volunteer times may be less than depicted below. Volunteers can sign up by going to https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=174952917 and picking one or more time slots. Thanks
Please see the grid below on the number of volunteers needed:
Date Time # of volunteers requested # of volunteers scheduled # of volunteers needed
Aug 4th 2PM to 4PM 20 19 1
4PM to 6PM 20 7 13
Aug 5th 8AM to 12PM 20 7 13
Aug 6th 8Am to 12PM 20 15 5
Aug 7th 1PM to 5PM 20 8 12
5PM to 9PM 20 8 12
Aug 8th 8AM to 12PM 20 5 15
12PM to 3PM 20 3 17
8AM to 10AM 20 1 19
10AM to 12PM 20 2 18
12PM to 3PM 20 7 13
2. Congratulations to Eva (Gold), Kris (Silver) and Linda (Bronze) for their play in the women’s 3.0/3.5 singles league. For those interested in women’s drop-in singles, it will begin this Friday, August 3 from 8-12. Most players are 3.0/3.5, but all levels are welcome.
The 32nd Annual National Veterans Golden Age Games (NVGAG) are coming to Albuquerque, August 4 – 8, 2018. The National Veterans Golden Age Games is the only national multi-event sports and recreational seniors’ competition program designed to improve the quality of life for older veterans, including those with a wide range of abilities and disabilities. The event is open to veterans 55 and older, who receive VA healthcare. This year, Pickleball will be a included as a competitive event for the first time, and the events will be held at the Manzano Mesa Pickleball Courts. Approximately 157 participants, in various age ranges, have signed up for these Pickleball events.
The Pickleball Committee of the 32nd Annual NVGAG is looking for Pickleball players willing to serve as scorekeepers for this event. Below is a grid detailing the dates and times the events will be held, with the number of required scorekeepers in parenthesis. Please be aware that this number is only needed at the beginning of the event, and will reduce as players/teams are eliminated.
Sat Aug 4
Sun Aug 5
Mon Aug 6
Tues Aug 7
Wed Aug 8
8 am – Noon (18)
8 am – Noon (1)
1 pm -5 pm (18)
8 am – Noon (18)
2 pm -6 pm (18)
5 pm -9 pm (18)
1 pm -4 pm (7)
We are also looking for approximately 4 volunteers for each event to assist with registration, guiding participants to their courts, bringing water to participants, etc. Volunteers will be provided with water throughout the day and volunteers serving a 4 hours block will receive a meal.
Volunteers can sign up by going to https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=174952917 and picking one or more time slots. Please see attached flyer for additional information and feel free to distribute widely.
All the best,
Charlotte Ryff, BSB
Clnical Affiliations Coordinator
Room 5C-109, ext. 4587
NVGAG Pickleball Volunteer Recruitment flyer (1)
We have an Eat, Meet and Compete scheduled for Friday, July 27th at Manzano Mesa Pickleball Courts. The Venue Coordinators (Managing Council) will meet indoors at Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center at 4 PM. Any ABQ Pickleball Club member who wishes to attend or share their ideas is welcome to attend. Thoughts on what the club should do more of, less of, or start doing are particularly welcome. The meeting will lead off with a forum for input from club members. Or just come and eat and play! Folks can start play at 5:30, eat and continue to play under the lights. There will be club balls, extra paddles provided. If you desire, bring food to share, so we can eat at the courts.
Don’t forget the ABQ Pickleball Club’s first tournament is now open for registration at pickleballtournaments.com. The tournament is over the Labor Day weekend (September 1-3) and is by skill level (no age restrictions). Registration is $35 for all events, Doubles starts at 8 am September 1, Mixed doubles at 8 am September 2nd and singles at 8 am September 3rd. The location is the Manzano Mesa outdoor courts.
1. The ABQ Pickleball Club coordinates the pickleball segment of the NM Senior Olympics. Registration for pickleball has increased dramatically this year compared to last year. As a result, the demand for refs and desk help has increased. The tournament is July 18th, 19th, and 20th. Some of you have already volunteered through NM Senior Olympics or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) previously indicating your willingness to ref, and we appreciate it very much. If you can spare 4 hours to help ref (in blocks of time or when not playing scattered over the three days), please email Gary (email@example.com) with your address, phone and possible times available, or if you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator (Wendy Luck) at 505-210-1930 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you contact one of us this week and include shirt size, you will also receive a volunteer shirt. If you can ref for less than 4 hours, that is appreciated as well. If you have already signed up, no need to do it again. Additionally, for those who would like referee training (not a requirement to volunteering), there is a training coming up on July 14th at 9am at Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center: the referee committee is offering an indoor class, followed by courtside instruction at the gym. Contact Joe Martellaro @ email@example.com to register.
2. As you know, the ABQ Pickleball Club is an affiliate of the New Mexico Senior Sports Foundation(501c3). There is a fund raiser on July 7 from 10:00-2:00 where items are collected for Goodwill. Goodwill will compensate the Foundation for bins filled at the rate of $50/each. Start collecting your treasures now and bring them to the collection site. See Goodwill Donation Drive – 2018 flyer describing the event as well as what they are accepting. Lois Gray has agreed to be the coordinator for this fundraiser, so please direct any questions to her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 918-1388. No large items please.
1. There were 127 participants at the NM Games June 8-10. Congrats to all the players for a very competitive tournament with many long matches. Also, we wish to thank the many club members who worked at organization, registration, communications, desk and announcements, reffing, lunch order and raffle table, brought food and helped so much in running the tournament. It couldn’t have been done without them. Also, thanks to Tonnie Doose and Dennis Gallant for donating their split raffle to the club – Gary
The results are posted at pickleballtournaments under past tournaments: pickleballtournaments.com; look for Past Tournaments; scroll down to NM Games and check ‘Results’.
NM Games Pickleball was included on KOB news Sunday. The link is: https://www.kob.com/sports/pickleball-featured-at-nm-games-this-weekend/4944275/?cat=502
2. ABQ Pickleball Club Labor Day Classic is now open for registration on pickleballtournaments.com. This is a skill level tournament over the labor day weekend (September 1: doubles, September 2: mixed doubles, September 3: singles). All proceeds go to the ABQ Pickleball Club for nets, balls, training, etc. If you can play, register early to encourage others in and out of state.
• NM Games Start Times: Friday June 8th thru Sunday June 10th
Please go to pickleballtournaments.com-nm games-show player list, which will show you the events you have been registered in. Also, please call your partner and let them know the times. Below are the check-in and start times.
Friday: Check-in begins at 8:30, matches at 9:00 for all singles except men’s 2.5/3.0. Men’s 2.5/3.0 has a check-in starting at 9:00 for a start time of 9:30.
Saturday: Check-in begins at 7:30 for all women’s and men’s doubles except men doubles 3.0/3.5. Play begins at 8:00. For men’s 2.5/3.5 check in is at 9:00 for play beginning by approximately 9:30.
Sunday: Check-in begins at 7:30, matches at 8:00 for all mixed doubles groups.
Bring sunscreen and hydration. If you can bring food to share, it would be greatly appreciated by the players, volunteers, and other spectators. We will collect money at the opening for a split-the-pot raffle and for those wishing to order from Dion’s at a discounted menu (food to be brought at 11:30).
• There are still openings for Scott Moore’s clinics on Monday. Additionally, he has opened a clinic from 4-6 on June 10th, the last day of the tournament. Be sure to read Joyce’s review at Abqpickleball.com. Further Information is on the attached flyer.
1. Registration for NM Games will close on June 1. You can register electronically at pickleballtournaments.com or download mail in registration forms at abqpickleball.com. Singles start at 11 am on June 8, doubles at 8 am on June 9th, and mixed doubles at 8 am on June 10th. There are no age restrictions, and the tournament is based on skill levels. If you need a partner, check on pickleballtournaments.com and abqpickleball.com for players looking for partners.
2. There are still openings for the modified dink tournament this Thursday at 9 am at the Manzano Mesa Outdoor Courts (check-in at 8:45 am). All four players start at the no-volley zone line as though a perfect 3rd shot was made. The first 3 shots must be in the no-volley zone: subsequent shots can be anywhere on the court. This is great practice for the coming tournaments. The play will be in ladder format, sign up with a partner, or we can try and find you a partner.
3. The singles league has approximately 30 players. Registration will close on May 20th. Email Gary Rutherford (email@example.com) if you wish to play. You will be scheduling your matches at a time that works for both players. This is also great practice for the coming tournaments.
This is an appeal for volunteers to collect attendance at the NM Games basketball satellite venues over the Memorial Day weekend on behalf of NM Senior Sports Foundation, our umbrella organization through which we gain our tax-exempt status for donations, etc.
Sign up now for one or more 4-5 hour shifts at Valley High, Sandia High, Del Norte High, Hope Christian School or as a reserve.
Thank you very much for helping out!